Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Jammin!

Hi everyone. Sorry about the long absence, life has been quite busy so I've only had time to tweak the site a bit over the last few days. Rest assured, I will have a review up this evening about the movie 'Brick'. I just wanted to pop in this morning to point out a nostalgic article from ign. While this blog's purpose is film discussion, I could not resist sharing this article with you.

http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1197456p1.html

Toejam and Earl was one of the first video games I ever owned back in 1992. I woke up one morning with a severe pain in my stomach. When my Dad realized I had trouble standing straight from the pain in my side he promptly put me in the car and rushed me to the hospital. I had to have my appendix removed, the nurses quickly prepared me for surgery. Before I was knocked out my Mom called me and told me she was going to the toy store and that I could have whatever toy I wanted for when I woke up.

What better source of entertainment could a 7 year old have in the 90's than a Sega Genesis? While recovering at home after the surgery, I was treated to yogurt (I wasn't an ice-cream kid) and my sega-genesis. It came with Sonic the Hedgehog, Ms. Pac-Man, and Toejam & Earl.

What possessed my Mom to buy this game was beyond me, but I loved it. It was especially fun if a friend came over to play with, as we could explore this bizarre 16-bit interpretation of earth and it's inhabitants at the same time. I still have this game and my genesis, and I confess I still play when the mood strikes. The linked article explains the game-play to great length, all I'd like to add is that this is the most unique and under-appreciated game I know of. If you happen to have a wii and would like to try something different you can download it from the wii store (I believe it costs $8).

Sorry to stray off the beaten path, having just realized this game is 20 years old really made me feel nostalgic. I'll see you movie buffs again this evening.


-Alex

0 comments:

Post a Comment