Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tom Jones



For my first post, I'm going to start on a very specific sub-sub-genre. Now, I am not familiar with this topic and kind of only fell onto it by accident. Why yes, I am talking about Classic British Comedy. I'm fairly certain there are other movies of this ilk. But as it stands, this is the only one I know about. And it seems that it won best picture, director and adapted screenplay for that year.

Tom Jones follows the story/antics of it's titular character through ill-luck, discovery and sex-romp. Tom Jones is played by Albert Finney (completely different looking, if I may add. To think he was a heartbreaker...) magnificently. Good enough for an Oscar nod. Rarely does a comedic part get such acclaim, and it's readily deserved.  The man is so charming you can't help but like him.  He's always there to help men in trouble and women in distress. Especially helping them out (and in) to their clothes. Tom Jones conquers so many women it would put James Bond to shame.

Susannah York's (as the leading lady, Sophie) acting is so effortless and natural you also can't help rooting for her. I have no doubt that she had wrested the hearts of many a British teen. The chemistry between the two actors never falters and is played for laughs at every turn. I even found the idyllic scenes of them comical, although that may be more of an ironic thing. Although, I wouldn't put it pass the director, Tony Richardson, to have come upon that on purpose.

I found the film to be pretty humorous, but I can imagine that many wouldn't think it was so. There are a lot of winks at the camera and some good quips that are new to me. I wouldn't say it's an uproarious comedy, but it IS charming. I would recommend this movie for those who are fans of old school British humor a lá Benny Hill. Over all, one of the better comedies, although it may not hold up too well on some parts. But it's still worth a gander.

 -piecar

0 comments:

Post a Comment