Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

This is not the review you are looking for.


Star Wars has been released on blu-ray and has apparently broken all kinds of sales records. In one weeks time it has become the best selling blu-ray of all time.

I find this interesting because some of the most vocal "fans" of these movies seem to be filled with rage over Lucas' treatment of these movies and the less than stellar prequel trilogy. It seems Yoda was right, the dark side is not stronger. Hate has not made them powerful. The overwhelming amount of negative criticism from Star Wars fans on the web seems to merely show that (especially on the internet) negative voices always seem louder than the positive.



On to business: I am not going to review any of these movies (at least not yet). At this point it has been done to death. So many people have seen and spoken about these 6 movies, and so many have posted reviews online. They beat me to the punch, I can think of few new things to say that hasn't already been stated many times over. Instead I would like to use this opportunity to do something refreshing with the internet. Something few have chosen to do with their voices.

Thank you George Lucas.

While it is unlikely you will ever read this, I'd like to take the time to be grateful for all the great memories. The original Star Wars trilogy was the first VHS tape I owned (after dumbo and a few sesame street movies I grew up with). These three movies introduced me to the wonders of film, and the timeless magic of mythology. You took a fun and entertaining idea and elevated it into an art. The fact that people feel so passionate about your films says so much about the quality of those original three.

I confess, I am among those who criticize and scrutinize the new trilogy. However, despite my criticism I still watch them at home and enjoy the moments that recapture the wonder of the originals. I think of the younger audiences watching the prequels and hope they are as captivated by them as I am of the later episodes.

I may not agree with all the changes you have made to the classic films, I do still own and watch the original cuts. I hope they one day receive the restoration they deserve, so that the films that started this franchise can be maintained and enjoyed in their original form. That said, the work your team has done enhancing these movies for high definition is outstanding. My eyes now notice colors and textures that did not exist before this high definition release. It is as though I am seeing Star Wars again for the first time. Despite being married with a child now; the films still take me back to when I was a small boy in pajamas, sitting on the floor looking up at my small tube set, clutching my Obi-Wan action figure as the Milenium Falcon takes off on a grand adventure.



Thanks for the memories Mr. Lucas.















-Alex




P.S. The Podcast is nearly finished. Also, my next post will be the first in a series, details on that tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment